PADI AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Course
Why should you attend a PADI AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Course? What difference can you make? Do you know how to correctly interact with the aquatic realm?
One of the best aquatic environments to dive or snorkel in is tropical, turquoise water on a vibrant and colourful coral reef, yet so many people know very little about what they’re seeing or the importance of reef ecosystems. The PADI AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Course will help you appreciate the complexity of these marine habitats and will teach you how you can help conserve these vital ecosystems. This is a course in which you will not do any diving, but instead will describe in detail how coral reefs function and exactly why they are so important to our planet. Most divers, snorkelers and environmental enthusiasts have already visited or plan to visit a coral reef. The AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty course provides the knowledge base for proper interaction while touring a reef.
The Best Part
The best part about the PADI AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Course is that you will learn how you can play a vital role in promoting awareness about the vulnerability of coral reef ecosystems and also how you can protect coral reefs through demonstrating proper diving habits among the diving community.
What will you learn?
Along with a presentation and overview on the history and philosophy of the Project AWARE Foundation you will also learn about:
- how coral reef systems function and the complex balance of life on a reef
- the importance of coral reefs to marine ecosystems and coastal areas
- coral reef biology, association and competition
- the state of the world’s coral reefs and why many coral reefs are in trouble
- what you can do to prevent further decline of coral reefs
- how Project AWARE unites scuba divers and underwater enthusiasts to make a difference
- the many ways you can help, including responsible diving and snorkeling practices
What will you do?
Although you will not be diving for this certification there is plenty of information presented in the material that will stoke your interest and make you want to get out and become a coral reef ambassador!
- You will watch the ‘Protect The Living Reef Video’ snorkeling or diving version & discuss with your Instructor
- You will review your knowledge in the AWARE ‘Our World, Our Water’ manual
- No minimum age
- An interest in the aquatic realm
What will you get?
- PADI AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Certification
- you may be able to get college credit for the PADI AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Course
Your Next Adventure
A favorite companion to the PADI AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Course is the PADI Scuba Diving AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Course. If you want you can take these two specialties concurrently. Although Coral Reefs make up less than one per cent of the ocean environment,they are home to one third of all marine fish species. The Fish ID course will help you to get the most out of your diving on coral reefs by teaching you techniques to identify fish that you don’t recognise. Be the diver with the answers about “What was that fish?” rather than the one asking the questions!