PADI AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Specialty Course
Why should you attend a PADI AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Specialty Course? Are you interested in recognising more creatures? Do you have a fascination with the aquatic realm?
The aquatic world is so varied that you will rarely finish a dive without seeing something you never saw before, and you probably wonder “What was that fish?” – just one of the reasons you should take the AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Course. If you want to be the scuba diver with all the answers about fish, instead of the one asking all the questions, then take the PADI AWARE – Fish Identification Specialty course. Diving becomes even more enjoyable when you can recognize the creatures that you see and can identify the main fish families and their characteristics.
The Best Part
The best part about the PADI AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Specialty Course is that when you know more about fish it stokes your interest in diving, so you’ll want to dive even more!
What will you learn?
Do you know the difference between an Angel Fish & a Wrasse? What about Damsel fish? So many look the same! Once you learn to recognize what types of fish you see, you’ll find it easier to reference the exact species after a scuba dive. By learning about fish characteristics & behaviour, you can then place them into family groups. This makes it much easier to identify a fish that you didn’t recognise.
You will learn:
- How to identify the distinctive characteristics of fish families and species
- Fish surveying techniques and strategies, including habitat information
- How to sketch and describe unfamiliar fish and identify them afterwards
- How to demonstrate responsible diving practices to minimise negative evironmental effects
- About Project AWARE and how you can help protect aquatic life
What will you do?
You will organize and make at least two Open Water scuba dives all under the close eye of your qualified PADI Specialty Instructor. These will range from 18 metres/40 feet to 30 metres/100 feet, during which you will:
- Positively identify and record fish sightings
- Place fish into one of the twelve broad family groups
- Note abundance or scarcity of specific species
- Record unfamiliar fish for identification later
- Dive in a responsible and environmentally aware manner
- Minimum age 10 years old
- PADI (Junior) Open Water Diver
What will you get?
Besides the thrill of identifying all kinds of fish that you never knew about before, you will also receive:
- PADI Scuba Diving AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Specialty Certification
- one of the five PADI Specialty Diver Certifications to achieve the PADI Master Scuba Diver (MSD) Rating
- the first dive of this PADI Scuba Diving AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Specialty Course may credit as an Adventure Dive toward your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Certification
- you may be able to get college credit for the PADI Scuba Diving AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Specialty Course
Your Next Adventure
A favorite companion course for many scuba divers who take the PADI Scuba Diving AWARE Fish Identification (Fish ID) Specialty Course is the PADI Scuba Diving AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Course. If you wish, you can take these two specialties concurrently. This is a great follow-up course, as your knowledge about fish will expand even more when you understand about the important role of coral reefs in marine ecosystems and how they play a vital part in fish abundance and species diversity.